Date of Award

Spring 5-2023

Document Type

DNP Project

Project Team Faculty Member

Dr. Matthew Bednarchik

Project Team Faculty Member

Dr. Adam Schneider


Local anesthetic, Nerve Block, Surgery, Regional, Additive, Adjunct


With regional anesthesia becoming increasingly popular, an emphasis has been placed on choosing appropriate adjunct medications to local anesthetics for prolonging peripheral nerve blocks- lengthening postoperative pain control and decreasing perioperative narcotic usage. This project aimed to increase provider knowledge of the proven efficacy of block and adjunct selection for breast, shoulder, and knee surgeries with intended results being prolonged block duration and increased patient satisfaction post-operatively. A focused lecture along with a Likert-scale questionnaire and quiz were administered to a small sample of anesthesia providers at a rural Illinois hospital. Half (55.6%) of the providers showed evidence of knowledge gained in PNB choice as well as adjunct selection. The remaining 44.4% did not reach out after the presentation and post-presentation knowledge was unable to be assessed. Thus, the results of the post-test and efficacy of the training may not be applicable to larger populations.

Download Full Text Above

Literature Review - Adjuncts and Additives to Regional Anesthesia.docx (46 kB)
Literature Review

Conceptual Framework - final.docx (16 kB)
Conceptual Framework

Methodology-kdyekbrunnert..docx (17 kB)

Final Reference List.docx (21 kB)
Final Reference List

Results-kdyekbrunnert.docx (85 kB)
Evaluations and Outcomes



To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.